Sunday, November 21, 2010

Grey Gardens


Last summer, I watched the original Grey Gardens documentary and I thought it was amazing. So sad that they wasted in isolation in that house, but also incredible what amazing eccentric people both Big and Little Edie were. Little Edie especially with her turbans and headwraps to cover her lack of hair due to alopecia, her clever quips, her dancing and her really stylish outfits. I just found her really mesmerizing and very entertaining.

Today I bought the HBO movie version of Grey Gardens and I have to say it made me feel even more sad about her situation. Being scared of rejection and heartbreak to the point of completely isolating herself. Having a mother who was so afraid to be alone that she manipulated her daughter and kept her from living a life of her own. Still they seemed rather happy for two people who were isolated from the "real" world. I'm not saying I'm going to become a hermit, but I do sometimes think of how fun it would be to drop out of school and live in a house in the woods isolated from everything. Growing my own food and making my own clothes. Anyhow, both movies are great and I highly recommend them. Drew Barrymore is spot on as Little Edie and I feel very inspired by the clothing from both movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment