Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fabric Shopping



Since I'm currently without car, I haven't been able to go to Mary Jo's, which is this really incredible fabric store in Gastonia, NC. I thought I would be able to go there over break, but since I live about 40 minutes north of Charlotte and have to borrow my mom's car to get there, it just wasn't worth it. I went to Hancock fabrics instead and found some really neat fabrics there, I deviated from my original plans for garment fabrics quite a bit, but I found some really great fabric. I'm making a t-shirt dress for myself to wear so I bought some jersey cotton in a tiny plum colored houndstooth print, but there was only about 2 and 1/4 yds of that so I also bought a striped jersey as a backup. Also, I'm making a dress for the fashion show which I'm going to wear, the sleeves are puffed at the shoulder, and it has a really cool back. Originally I thought I would use a dark blue cotton with a small print on it, but I found this great colorful linen with a really great abstract pattern on it which I love. I also bought a belt closure for the belt that goes along with that dress and a big wooden button to go on the back of the dress itself. Lastly, I had to get some fabric to make a slip dress that one of my friends is going to wear in the show, so I bought this great floral silky polyester that has a watercolor-y look to it and some yellow lace to do some embellishments/detailing with. All in all I was very happy with my purchases!

No comments:

Post a Comment